Monday, January 3, 2011

2010

My short-term memory is gone. I had completely forgotten about the gulf oil spill until news stations rebroadcasted the biggest stories of 2010 all last week. Months ago, when the story broke, I remember sitting in my mother's living room and watching some of the footage with tears in my eyes. The devastation to the environment was overwhelming. The reaction from BP executives was unbelievable. At the time, I wondered how long the effect would keep hold of my emotions.

I guess out of sight out of mind is how it is. The impact of a tragedy fades quickly unless it is force fed through some media outlet. Over the weekend I watched the news channels thinking to myself did this really happen? Earthquakes, various mine explosions around the world, cholera, mortality: all of it just seemed to disappear like that one sock in the dryer. So the rest of the weekend I spent wondering about myself.  I'll shed a tear over a well-sung rendition of the "Star Spangled Banner" so I don't think I am too insensitive to the world around me. The way the mind works is just too damn weird like the way the rent is too damn high.

Back in college I had to withdraw, failing, from Psychology 101. The young lady I was dating at the time said it was because I never repressed anything...whatever that means. Now that I am older I am quite interested in how the brain works; I am real interested in how my own mind works. The impact of the outside world both near and dear to me and miles and miles away has to trigger some crazy functions inside my head. Maybe I might need a tune up, but things seem to be going well. I do what I can to exercise the mind, but I still could read even more than I do.

After watching my Grandmother fall ill to Alzheimer's Disease, I started doing crossword puzzles to try and stay sharp. In the mornings, I take my time reading the Good Book just like Capt. Augustus McCrae did. If I could end up like the good Captain McCrae that would make for some eventful years.

The brain cells that fell prey to years of poor decision making, may they rest in peace, are owed an apology. Those dear ones that I have left are owed good health and longevity. It is a new year and time to take a another stab at living well...or maybe I mean "living correctly." I am not making any resolutions, but I am going to go over some things very carefully. Now somebody pass me the Tabasco for my Bloody Mary...

2 comments:

  1. forgot about the oil spill, become a fan of greenpeace international picture desk on facebook

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff, sir. The workings of the mind and the construct of memory (or lack thereof ;) have been spinning my brain of late as well. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete