Thursday, January 20, 2011

I'm Gonna Listen to Cowboy Mouth All Day...

...because I need a dose of New Orleans. After some good rock and roll I am going to play some Kermit Ruffins and think back to Thursday nights at Vaughn's which was just around the corner from my house in the 9th Ward. I didn't stay up late much but when I did I saw some good music.

I still need to buy a record player. This has been on my "to do list" for the last 8 years. I'll be able to play some great records that I have collected over the years, if they aren't too warped.

Yesterday I was very productive. I worked on the documentary about Street Jimmy. SJ is a homeless crack addict who survives his way through life in and around Old Town in Chicago. When the weather is warm he resides behind the trash cans that line the northern wall of the Old Town Ale House. Street Jimmy looks like a young Miles Davis. I really enjoy talking to him and listening to his tales of day to day living until he starts talking about wanting to get his life together. That song and dance has grown tiresome. Gracie's father, Bruce, blogs about his conversations with Street Jimmy.

The other day I had an idea about taking Street Jimmy on a road trip. I am NOT taking him to New Orleans tho. But it would be interesting to see his reactions to things. Watching him watch TV is like watching a young child watching Saturday morning cartoons. Jimmy has been on the streets too long so everything is new to him.

Enough about Street Jimmy, you will just have to watch the documentary. I'm going to go back to thinking about New Orleans.

Breakfast at Elizabeth's followed by a walk along the levee into the French Quarter. Coffee at the Cafe DuMonde then a Bloody Mary from the Omni Royal Hotel. Drink it on the roof overlooking the Quarter then it's off to the Chart Room for a drink before checking out the books and records on Decatur Street. Soon enough I'll be getting hungry for lunch and that will be a tough decision.

2 comments:

  1. ......sonnys dream......check out wwoz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dig that Street Jimmy has sparked your interest. Most of us (myself included) just cruise by folks who are endlessly fascinating and right in front of us. As a kid I couldn't have been more interested in Boo Brooks in Oxford, who the town loved and rebuilt his house at least twice. There aren't many more Boo-Boos there now. Can't wait to scope the documentary.

    And New Orleans. Yes, New Orleans...

    ReplyDelete