Friday, December 24, 2010

Chicago's Bravest

I have been lazy. The old disease snuck up on me when I thought I was in remission. But at least I have been busy in the studio trying to figure out the nuances of the new film camera I bought. Toying with film has proven to be quite an undertaking. I cannot fathom trying to write a cohesive sentence after I have been taking meter readings in less than favorable conditions and playing the role of Art Director as well. So whine whine whine life has been so tough. Something happened this week in Chicago that deserves address. Some acts of bravery were executed that make me shake my head in awe of human capabilities.

A one alarm fire turned into a several alarm fire on the South side. Departments responded without hesitation as the calls went out. When they arrived at the correct address they knew the dilapidated building. This particular building had a reputation for being a destination for the destitute. Squatters and homeless addicts often broke through the barriers put in place in order to find shelter from the harsh Chicago weather and members of the CPD on patrol. This make-shift residence somehow caught fire and demanded a rapid response from not just one firehouse but several.

Along the way the firefighters had to deal with misinformation and frozen fire hydrants. Despite the roadblocks Chicago's bravest were able to provide all necessary equipment and personnel necessary to combat this fire. These men and women followed procedures and began their attempts at disrupting the temper of the blaze.

One of the first things to happen is what gets me the most. Two firefighters, Corey Ankum and Edward Stringer, ran toward the flames in order to make sure that no one was inside. These two me were not hustling toward a building full of precious school children or rescuing a batch of puppies from and animal shelter; they went after any one who might possibly have a heartbeat that just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. The slightest possibility of saving a human life was in the percentages and proper protocol was followed. Earlier in the month a coyote was rescued from a slab of ice that had drifted pretty far out into Lake Michigan. Again, proper protocol was followed. The men and women whom reach the ranks of "firefighter" are called to duties that are far beyond many people's capacities and capabilities. They are, absolutely, far beyond my own.

Mr. Ankum and Mr. Stringer did not make it out of that building alive. The bagpipes are playing "Amazing Grace" in their honor. Two of Chicago's Bravest sacrificed their lives for people who may or may have not been inside a building that had been neglected. The building had been abandoned by its owner. No human being should have been inside those decaying walls and trusses. Now, families are suffering through a horrific sense of loss just a few days before Christmas.

How Mr. Ankum and Mr. Stringer acted is stuff Hollywood movies are made of. I have often dreamt of acting the role of "hero" in many situations that would require stunt men and a lot of safety harnesses. On a few occasions I have had the opportunity to pull of some sort of heroic deeds, but failed to execute the necessary actions to achieve such a prestigious title. It's funny, how heavy my shoes became at those times. I failed where others have done so much better.

I know my limits. Maybe, at times, I can go beyond my limits. I am glad we have those who go beyond their limits without hesitation. Having Angels and Heroes among us is something we should all be thankful for. Whether it is the guy who jumped on the gunman on the Long Island Railroad back in the early 90s or your local Volunteer Firefighter we need to know that there are those, and their families, who deserve so much more than they get. My appreciation and my heart goes out to all those whose job it is to protect. More than I am able to offer goes out to their families as well.

As the Holiday Season passes by please be well aware of those who allow you to live the way you do.  I know I need to be more appreciative. Have a safe and Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. Amen, brother. A necessary perspective over the holidays. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete