Thursday, January 6, 2011

Winter...blah

So it's that time of the year when paychecks are a somewhat distant memory and the mere thought of going for a run along Lake Michigan is the quickest way to keep me firmly planted on the couch. I have had to put a stop on getting film developed. I went a little crazy shooting rolls and rolls of film of Street Jimmy. I had two black and white prints made and now my fun-money balance is at a definite zero. But things are better than they were last year. I actually heard back about a part-time job. Last year I sent out a couple resumes a day and never heard back from a single employer. I applied to work in warehouses and coffee shops, but so did thousands of other people in Chicagoland.

I found several new spaces where I can possibly move my studio to and cut down on some monthly expenses. It is time for a change of scenery. I love the industrial corridor over by Ashland and Hubbard. The space I looked at yesterday had windows that faced east and had an amazing view of the Loop. The Hancock Building was in one window and the Willis Tower was in the other. The owner is willing to barter for rent during the lean months. I like understanding landlords.

Today, I am looking at a space on the top floor of a stand-alone building that borders some railroad tracks. Old Town is getting a little stuffy from an artistic/economic sense. Ideally, I would love to move my studio to Bermuda. Not too long ago I read about a girl from the States who got a job as the official photographer of Bermuda. Where was that listing on Craigslist!!??

The days are getting longer which brings hope for the color green to return to the area. The sun sets at around 4:34 now. As soon as the temperature gets back up to 40 I can go back to spending the unemployed mornings skating the pool at Wilson. Forty degrees shouldn't be too far off in the future thanks to global warming.

No comments:

Post a Comment