Friday, December 3, 2010

Fox's New Series: The Chicago Cold...

This December 15 will make 4 years that I have rented in Chicago. People from back home always ask if I can handle the winters here. I have always told them that the dry cold here is not as bad as any wet cold with the least bit of humidity. In fact, the coldest I have ever been in winter was during a three-day cold spell in New Orleans in December 2002. There was no way to fight that wet chill. The air penetrated all layers and I had to wear a down sleeping bag (basically an expensive Snuggie from REI) in the house. Wearing a lot of layers can easily combat the drier cold I have dealt with in Chicago. But then I worked a couple days on the new TV show "The Chicago Code." After two days of working outside before winter has even begun  I am nervous about what the future might bring. Actually, it's more than nerves; it's fear.

Some of the folks I worked with that grew up in and around Chicago complained about the uncomfortable temperatures we had to deal with. This made me feel better about my own misery. I am none too apprehensive to complain about the goings on that take place on a movie set but I did not want to be the new guy from back East bitching about the weather when it's not even February. We all suffered through these miserable days as brothers and sisters and everyone got along pretty well. All the work was completed with professionalism and nobody suffered any medical trauma. At one point I did think I was going to break. However, the nice girl from Craft Service brought me a well-timed cup of hot chocolate when I was unable to leave an 8X (for close to three dark hours) that was getting ready to sail right into the middle of the CTA Building.

Working outside for a couple days allowed me a little time to experiment with my layering strategy for the ensuing winter season. This week I went with my light-grade layering system and while I was miserable, I was able to handle the assigned tasks without taking too much time and making too many mistakes. Knots were a bit of a problem, but they stayed tied. The Key Grips (Rigging and Set) I worked for are some super nice guys who understand the misery the crew experiences working in less-than-favorable conditions. I hope all bosses are as compassionate but from what I hear that does not seem to be the case.

Despite the conditions I am glad I am getting some work here in Chicago. I am thrilled to be a part of I.A.T.S.E. Local 476. I have met some great people and learned some new tricks from some well-versed technicians. For the next several months I am going to try and avoid the wind and stick my face out for every ray of sunlight I can. Spring cannot be too far away can it?

No comments:

Post a Comment