Wednesday, December 8, 2010

It sounded like a .45 going off!

The new camera arrived...a Mamiya 645E. I love the feel of it. The first time the shutter went off I jumped! Dang, that thing is loud, but it sounds so sweet.

Patience is forced upon me with this camera. I love how careful I have to be setting up the shot and composing the frame. So much metering and tweaking is necessary, but that is why I bought the used beast. I have to slow down and be thorough...this will be good for me.

The first day went fairly well. The biggest problem was finding the right amount of pressure to exert upon the shutter release button on the rapid wind grip. TTL metering is not my friend. Yesterday, I basically wasted a roll of 120 film trying to find my trigger finger. Call it a bad case of pre-mature shutter release.

Today is a new day. Practice sessions continue. My neighbor, an actress from Second City, is coming to the studio to be a test subject as I go through the detailed process that is shooting film. My buddy Tim is also coming over to sit for me. I appreciate good friends and good neighbors coming to the studio. I will reward their patience with M&Ms and good refreshments.

Who else wants to stop by for a session?

2 comments:

  1. dude. i have the exact same camera, i always talk about the shutter, you can feel it taking a picture, ker whafpt!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i got two lenses, one i just got back after loaning it to someone and not getting it back for six years.

    ReplyDelete