Monday, February 18, 2013

A Power Workout for the Podium

Everybody is dealing with winter, even the folks down in Florida have issues with the fluctuating weather. I have to chuckle when I read about fluctuations between 80 and 50 degrees as winter...but no matter what the case may be any change in what you are used to can be hazardous to your motivation. For many years I suffered from extreme cases of motivation-suffocation-by-cold weatheritis. This winter is no different; in fact, it may be worse than the previous years because I will use any excuse to avoid paddling on a frosty lake. I have until February 27th to be paddle-lazy but after that particular day the serious on-the-water training commences for it will begin the two month countdown leading up to the Carolina Cup.

Until February 27th I am hitting the gym for strength, speed, power, endurance, and confidence going as anaerobic in my workouts as my body will allow. I will continue to include anaerobic workouts into my weekly routine until March 16th. With six weeks to go until the race I will go completely aerobic and train according to my Maximum Aerobic Function, which is a mere 143 (more on the MAF in later posts). For now, I am working with weights to near failure and incorporating a lot of balance exercises into any session at the gym whether it be weight training or cardio.

Here is a typical workout I have come up with after reading all kinds of information on other people's blogs. For instance, Dave Kalama suggested push ups to help the shoulders for paddling. I hate push ups so I found a way to make them fun. Just about everyone who writes about exercise mentions doing pull ups and they have always been one of my favorite exercises to do. Youtube is full of examples of workout routines so I have incorporated some new stuff into a full-body circuit that I have done for many years. While this workout is good for anyone looking to better themselves I am doing these circuits specifically to become a stronger paddler.

POWER WORKOUT #1

.50 mile run at 6.0 to warm up

FIRST CIRCUIT:
1). 8-10 pull ups Follow with a set of ab exercises.

2). 10-12 medicine ball pushups (each palm on a 6lb medicine ball and toes on a 12lb medicine ball. chest presses close enough to floor so shirt touches). Follow with a set of ab exercises.

3). 25-30 shoulder shrugs holding 45lb plates in each hand and standing on a Basso ball. Follow with a set of ab exercises.

4). Triceps/Balance - stand with each foot on a 6lb medicine ball and using a 25lb plate place it behind your head and press upward (do these near a wall so you can help yourself get settled standing on the medicine balls holding a plate!). Try to do 10 in a row with out falling off. DO NOT TRY TO STOP YOURSELF FROM FALLING OFF MEDICINE BALLS. STEP OFF MEDICINE BALLS BEFORE YOU FEEL YOURSELF FALLING. When 10 have been completed, grab 45lb plate and stand on the flat side of a Basso ball and do 25 overhead tricep presses. Follow with a set of ab exercises
---------OPTION: do 8-10 dips instead and follow with a set of ab exercises---------

5). 15-20 Lat pull downs. Follow with a set of ab exercises

6). 10-12 dumbbell curls standing on a Basso ball. Drop down 10 lbs and using one dumbbell...stand with one foot on Basso ball and do curls with opposite arm, 5 with leg extended behind you and 5 with leg extended in front of you. (So, if you are standing on your right leg do curls with left arm and extend left leg behind you and in front of you. I use 35lb dumbbells for the first part then drop to using one 25lb dumbbell for the one-legged/ balance curls. This way just makes doing curls more fun for me.) Follow curls with a set of ab exercises.

7). Balance work: stand with each foot on a 6lb medicine ball and just do small movements with your body so your body has to adjust and recover without having to step off or fall. DO NOT TRY TO KEEP YOURSELF FROM FALLING!! STEP OFF MEDICINE BALLS BEFORE YOU FEEL YOURSELF FALLING!! As you get used to standing on medicine balls, add weights, other medicine balls, a lightweight curl bar and continue to make movements so there is adjustment and complete recovery. When you get really used to balance work on medicine balls...lift one leg up and try to tap the  bottom of the foot with the opposite hand before having to step back down on the medicine ball. This is a fun one but you get a lot of looks when you fail and medicine balls go rolling across the floor in opposite directions and you have to get up off the floor to go chase them!!

.50 mile run at 6.3

SECOND CIRCUIT: Try to maintain the same number of reps or more from the FIRST CIRCUIT and follow each of the 6 weight-training exercises with ab exercises.

.50 mile run at 6.5

THIRD CIRCUIT: Again, try to do the same number of reps as the FIRST CIRCUIT and follow each of the 6 weight-training exercises with ab exercises
End your last CIRCUIT with as many pull ups as possible until you achieve failure

.50 mile run at 7.0

.50 - .75 mile cool down at 6.3 - 3.5

Try to do 3 CIRCUITS but if time only allows for 2 you will still feel it. Make sure you end with pull ups to failure before a final jog top wrap things up for the day. AND...make sure you cover all your abs when doing ab work. Those lower abdominals just above the waist line often get ignored so make sure you get everything covered as you incorporate ab work throughout the CIRCUIT TRAINING.

Also, some of the balance work may engage the muscles in the back that have been in hibernation during the cold months so please listen closely to what your body is telling you. Adjust, slow down, and/or stop as necessary.

This CIRCUIT TRAINING is what helped me over the early part of the winter. I was doing these workouts 2-3 times a week before I went down south to race in Florida and North Carolina. I know I got stronger in a very short amount of time, which I truly believe has helped me become a stronger paddler. Nowadays, I am also incorporating some weight training that is more focused and specific to make certain muscles healthier. I don't plan to always go for power power power in the weight room because longevity is one of my long-term goals, but for now it sure feels good, especially when I am too much of a wuss to paddle in the cold.

Now, go get strong(er) healthy(ier)!


No comments:

Post a Comment