Monday, February 4, 2013

Advancing Health and Fitness - A Broad Stroke

If you are so inclined to improve your overall health and fitness I strongly suggest you get to know the teachings and philosophies of Dr. Phil Maffetone. Last summer I became a student of his methods as I trained to conquer the SEA Paddle NYC race and I continue to read his works as I attempt to get involved in the business aspects of stand up paddling, paddle fitness, and personal training. There is so much information to cover in any aspect of physical activity undertaken to benefit one's body. I am writing to pass along what has helped me. My intent is to help others. Take what you will from this; disagree with this; argue with this; just know that I am not trying to be an expert on anything to do with the body. I am just trying to do what I can to make people aware of some practices that might be useful to exercise, competition, health, and longevity.

First off, let me state this: success can be achieved if you decide to adhere to a training regimen derived from principles of Dr. Maffetone.

Last summer was my first summer of incorporating stand up paddling as part of my weekly workout routine and signing up to do some races. I knew immediately that I wanted to do something bigger than 6 miles and found my way into the SEA Paddle NYC event. I also knew that in order to do my first endurance event I needed help along the way, especially after talking with some more experienced paddlers. (Thanks again for your advice John Beausang and Westy!)

My research led me to "The Big Book of Endurance Training and Racing." As a newbie to any kind of outing that taxes the body beyond imagination I decided to come up with a plan and stick to it. Success eluded me in the SEA Paddle Race but I did discover the benefits of training according to Dr. Maffetone's suggestions two days later when I raced in the Battle of the Bay in Ocean City, MD and placed 2nd Overall. At one point I was leading the race. This was achieved against a group of paddlers who had been consistently beating me by minutes throughout the earlier parts of the summer. Minutes in stand up paddling feel like eternities. While on Friday after the 26.5 mile race in New York I was stomping around Manhattan wondering why I ever listened to Dr. Maffetone's hippie-dippy mumbo jumbo by Sunday afternoon I was like - Holy $#!%, he's absolutely right!

As soon as I stopped training according to the principles adhered to over the summer my results dropped considerably. The podium was ever elusive after I took up my own training practices and scheduled time on the water and in the gym whenever I felt like it instead of according to a strict schedule. My dedication waned after the summer had ended but I still enjoyed padlding. I just didn't like paddling in a chilly breeze. Then there was the whole marriage celebration thing...the holidays...and did I mention the deflating chilly breezes?

I started 2013 in the gym first thing in the morning. My dedication to improving myself re-appeared after a several-month hiatus. I wanted to be a better paddler and a better person.

The Carolina Cup, scheduled for the end of April, is closing in fast. While in Chicago it may be that uninspiring time of the year known as Winter, in a physical reality April 27th isn't too far away at all. It is time to make up a new training plan of attack and a new schedule. My 2013 plan of attack will included some new additions to Dr. Maffetone's methods because as of late I have meet so many great people. I am learning so much from talking to and paddling with fellow enthusiasts and from reading another one of Dr. Maffetone's books called "The Big Book of Health and Fitness."

For instance, on my trip to Paddle Fit certification and the two races I competed in, I learned that if you are going to be on the water with Florida paddlers, that means you Dave Rose and Mike Lemus, you better be in tip-top shape to try and keep them in your sights. Those boys are fast! I learned that true dedication to improving your stroke is strapping on a wetsuit, a headlamp, and a leash and paddling in winter's darkness after getting home from work and changing your newborn's diapers. If you do that you can finish only a few seconds behind Dan Gavere in a big race, eh, Denny Grant? One of the biggest lessons I learned was to just find joy in what you take on, no matter if they give you a crappy rental car and a rental board without a displacement nose, find the positives in any situation. Thank you for that, Mark Bandy (I could always use a lesson in not getting angry in situations out of my control!).

Starting February 27th I am going back to a stricter training regimen and I look forward to blogging about the undertaking and seeing what the results are after racing for 12+ miles around Wrightsville Beach. There is so much that I need to apply to my own practices that writing it all down will, hopefully, make it stick.

My approach to health and fitness will not strictly be for the SUP folks; it will be for anyone looking to take positive steps in their overall well being. A lot of what I will do will be of great benefit to anyone. I know, because I have experienced the benefits, that walking is better for the body than running on the side of the road. Walking has greta healing powers when the body has been under a lot of physical and mental stress. I know that training according to a certain heart rate, one that feels incredibly slow and worthless, will benefit the body in the long run. This approach is not only about seeing acceptable results in the next few months it is about still being able to paddle, exercise, and race as long as my limbs still function. When I started to train for SEA Paddle my shoulders were ragged but after many adjustments were made the pain went away before the race (more details will come in a later post). I owe that success in letting the body heal its self to Dr. Maffetone.

I know some people will scoff at what I will write and people may even stop reading this blog thinking the practices that I will undertake to be a fool's mission. Such is life. My only hope that some people will start to re-think their own habits and do research on their own to come up with a plan that will best suit them as they try to improve their own levels of health and fitness. About .0035% of what I will write will be what I have come up with on my own. The rest will be information passed on from those I consider to be "in the know" when it comes to being healthy and fit and preparing for a long and active life.

2 comments:

  1. n their overall well being. A lot of what I will do will be of great benefit to anyone:healthcarereview

    ReplyDelete
  2. Health is how you feel everyday and fitness is how you perform everyday - your health and fitness affects every aspect of your life and, as such, should be one of your most important priorities. Take control and responsibility of your health and fitness now and enjoy a better today and, more importantly, be able to enjoy a better tomorrow.

    Personal Trainer Townsville

    ReplyDelete