Friday, February 18, 2011

Hunt Dog Training...Well, Maybe Just Dog Training


Eli gets away with murder. He was such a pathetic thing as a puppy that he was able to exist without incurring much discipline. During his first few months in Chicago, Gracie hardly let the dog put his paws on the ground. Everyone just felt sorry for the tiny mongrel who was a few sandwiches short of a picnic...or so everyone thought. The Wirehaired Pointing Griffon is a breed that takes a while to come around. These dogs were bred to be jack of all trades and masters of none. Griffs have a lot of capabilities and smarts. Now I am blown away by everything Eli has to offer.

In the early days I was not much on this rag-a-muffin. It was hard dealing with a whiny wuss who could never EVER control his bladder. This was especially the case when Arthur was adhering to all his obedience training and mellow outlook on life despite being constantly gnawed on by some monkey-looking thing. Looking back, I realize my foolish way of thinking. I should have been more involved in helping Eli reach his full potential.

Over the last year Eli and I have really started to bond. This started when I watched him during Gracie and Arthur's first trip to Westminster. Everyone was wondering how the dog would react to being away from his Momma for the first extended period of time. The consensus was that he would freak out, cry 24/7, and go insane. My plan was to wear him out with tons of exercise and sooth his mind with plenty of bacon and eggs. The plan worked. Eli surprised everyone and was a lot of fun to have around my loft. Together, we explored some of the most beautiful streets in Chicago in all sorts of weather.

I was especially blown away when I witnessed him point for the first time. On one of our walkabouts Eli froze in the perfect position with his left paw up. It was beautiful and I really felt proud of him, despite the fact that he was pointing at an empty bag of BBQ potato chips blowing across the park. One must celebrate the small victories when one can!

Other people are starting to come around to Eli as well. He was not a favorite among those who gathered at the Ale House but now many people enjoy seeing both dogs when they come in for one of Gracie's cocktails. My Mom always asks about Eli and how he is doing. My Aunt Bev on the other hand still doesn't see it. The first time she met Gracie she walked in our hotel room in York, PA and was greeted at the door by Eli; her response - "my what an ugly dog you are!" Although he is a handful he is cute as hell!!

Lately we have been jogging by the lake and I am encouraged by his progress. The Mongrel is still rather rambunctious but this is helping force me to get back in shape. On our outings he responds pretty well when challenged. His slow maturation process is no fault of his own. His true self was overlooked. With a clearer perspective, I love watching him grow both mentally and physically. He has such a charm about him that I have to make sure I maintain a disciplined role in his life because it is so easy to just let go and watch him goof off.

I really look forward to skateboarding with him. I think Eli Mongrel has huge potential to be a great companion on the Lakefront Trail and at Wilson Skatepark.

Last night I was talking to a guy who offered me some tips that worked well when he trained his own Griff. I can't wait to start applying some pressure that will help Eli achieve all he is capable of. Now...if only Gracie will let me take him off the leash once in a while!

1 comment:

  1. Every interaction you have with your dog is a learning opportunity, so when you think about it, you probably don't use food very often except during active training sessions. So why does your dog continue to hang out? Because you reinforce him with praise, touch, games and walks.

    Dog Training Los Angeles

    ReplyDelete