Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Spicy Cross Training Workout

What does jumping rope have to do with SUP? Hell if I know but jumping rope can't be bad for you...

Last week I had no desire to go running on yet another day that the lake was closed due to contamination. I still have not ridden a bike since Leon's Triathlon nor do I want to. Feeling the need to do cardio I was wandering around the house thinking of things to do when I saw my jump rope hidden behind some coats on the coat rack. BINGO, I thought. I don't have to go far, do too much and I will still get a good workout.

Wow, I underestimated the power of the jump rope...I did the following workout on Tuesday and my calves were the source of excruciating pain for three days. During the race on Lake Max I felt them tightening up, which made me realize how important calf strength is for balance. Want to know more about the need for calf strength check this article out:

http://www.ncsf.org/enew/articles/articles-WhyTrainYourCalfMuscles.aspx

The workout is based on some old training sessions I did under former welterweight champ Lonnie Smith as I was contemplating entering the Daily News Golden Gloves Boxing Tournament in New York City way back in 1993...whole other fun story there!

I tweaked the "in between rounds" exercises to try and hit the muscles that might make me paddle faster!

This workout is to be done in constant motion with no stops at all!

Round One: 3 minutes jump rope alternating between single toe taps and double toe taps
Rest Period: 1 minute of Dumbbell Shoulder presses (use weights that you can press with speed for one minute)

Round Two: 3 minutes jump rope
Rest Period: 1 minute of medicine ball push ups (place each hand flat on a medicine ball and prop your toes up on a solid surface so your feet are higher than your chin)

Round Three: 3 minutes jump rope doing as much high speed single toe taps as your body can take
Rest Period: 1 minute of tricep presses (hold a single dumbbell behind the head with both hands and press)

Round Four: 3 minutes jump rope, last minute at high speed
Rest Period: 1 minute Dumbbell all-arounders (dumbbells on the ground: grab and deadlift then clean and press then lower dumbbells to shoulder level and squat then overhead press and lower back to ground for one rep - wrists should point behind you for deadlifts then stay pointing straight out in front of you for all parts after the deadlift until the dumbbells are placed gently on the ground)

Round Five: 3 minute jump rope at as nice and consistent a pace that you can do
Rest Period: 1 minute Dumbbell curls alternating arms

Get some electrolytes after this one!

I did this workout last week and got crushed then did it yesterday and was able to add another round of jump rope (after drinking electrolytes upon completion of Rest Period 5) and added balance work on medicine balls doing woodchoppers with a 15lb kettleball. So after the 5 rounds I switched to:

Round Six: 3 minute jump rope
Rest Period: 1 stand on medicine balls and alternate sides doing wood choppers with kettleball (I stood on 6lb medicine balls and tried to lift 15lb kettleball from left ankle (using right hand) to over right shoulder 5 times in a row with out stepping off then would alternate sides from right ankle (using left hand) to over left shoulder - most times I would get only 2 before having to step off!)

------------------3 minute rest for more water---------------------

Round Seven: 3 minute medicine ball woodchoppers with kettleball
Rest Period: 1 minute jump rope

Round Eight: 3 minute medicine ball woodchoppers with kettleball
Rest Period: 1 minute jump rope

Nap Time after this workout!!

I hope you dig this one! I feel it really helps with strength and endurance and have felt and noticed some benefits in a very short amount of time. My goal is to get in 10 complete rounds of good work before August!

What's one of your training goals?

No comments:

Post a Comment