Monday, May 6, 2013

Post Carolina Cup Recap

Phew...I'm glad it's over but I really didn't want it to end. I wanted the race to end but I didn't want the experience to end. Being at one of the biggest, if not the biggest SUP race on the east coast, for the first time was a wonderful getaway. I got to demo a lot of great boards, learned A LOT from the Danny Ching technique clinic, met some business contacts, and learned a lot about what not to do when trying to earn a little coin from this ever-blossoming industry. I have very little to complain about and really when it comes down to it there is only one complaint - the change of the course in the Graveyard race. Why? I still wonder why at night when I go to sleep thinking paddling thoughts. Oh well. The course was beautiful and fun but, in my humble opinion, we went the wrong way. Nevertheless, I am glad I made the trip.

The board I had been sanding and patching for the months leading up to the Cup did not sink, nor did it spring a leak until the very next day. Mission accomplished. After working so hard to get that board ready I felt I owed it to myself to get a new board...a custom board. It's ordered and should be here by June.

Another thing that has been keeping me busy is trying to get organized and start a business. That ball is rolling and I now officially have a name and a tax id #. Even Keel SUP FIT will be hitting the shores of Lake Michigan as soon as the weather warms up the water temperature...and as soon as all my gear arrives. I am nervous as hell and excited. I have always wanted to start my own business and now I have almost everything lined up to make that happen. The only thing that will keep me from paying the bills is me. It will be a Sole Proprietorship which means that I will be the only one responsible for the successes and failures. The buck starts and stops with me and that is the way I like it. Of course, I can blame my wife if I really need to make myself feel better, but hopefully I won't have to do that too often.

In the last few months I have learned so dang much and I want to take the time to pass on the knowledge to friends and associates but there is still much work to be done before I can sit at the computer and say that I am working. At the moment the burden feels kind of heavy but getting help and advice from a lot of friends is lessening the load. Ben from SUP Annapolis, Dawn from OC Sup Fitness, Ron and Sandy from Walk on Water in Ocean City, Matt from Starboard, Kathy from Stand Up DC, my mom, my wife, and many others have been very helpful and encouraging and I appreciate your time. Nathan, on the incredibly fast Speedboard 14, gave me a nice bit of encouragement to start writing my blog again. Of course there is always my cousin Neil to thank and to blame for getting me into this SUP mess in the first place. Without him I could just be enjoying life cooking meals and cleaning the house but noooooooooo...I have to paddle as much as possible and now I have to take all the benefits I have received from SUP and encourage others to reap the same. Thanks a lot, Neil! I might be coming to you for a loan soon!

More to come as things unravel...or maybe I should say unfold. I have to go try and open a bank account that won't take all {if any :)} profits with their monthly fees!!

I'll keep everybody updated as things progress. I will say one thing...TRX...go start doing it NOW!! What a great workout!!

No comments:

Post a Comment