Monday, March 4, 2013

Practice, Then Preaching

I have been wanting to write an entry that offers some justification for my methods as not only tired but true, not just in the improvement of speed over the ground on a stand up paddleboard but in terms of overall health and fitness. While it has not been that long, I have already felt much better, had more energy, and even lost weight. For the first time in 4+ years I weighed in at under 200lbs. Normally I don't care about how much I weigh, but when racing in the 12-6 class every ounce you can shed is going to help speed you up. At the six-week-out mark from the Carolina Cup I plan to make a conscious effort to shed as much weight as possible without going nutso over the process. This weight-loss plan isn't going to be some sit in a Listerine bath like mixed martial arts fighters trying to make weight; this is just going to be a no-processed food only healthy meals with fresh ingredients type undertaking. If I don't lose any more weight I am certainly not going to get upset over it because, hopefully, my strength and conditioning training will make up the differences.

Another thing that has been wonderful is the fact that I have not taking any kind of anti-inflammatory medicine for any type of pain in 2013...I think. (I know I haven't taken any since I got back from Paddle Fit certification in Florida but I might have taken an Anacin in early January.) Nonetheless, I am really happy with the fact that I am avoiding ingesting medicine made by some company that certainly doesn't give a rat's behind about my overall well being, especially when I have been hitting it HARD at the gym. On the days I do power workouts, I put my body through some pretty rigorous training with 3 circuits of weights and 4.5 miles of cardio in as short amount of time as possible. I feel it the next day, but instead of taking an Aleve and hoping for the best I have been listening to my body and either walking, resting completely, or doing really light jogs on the treadmill the next day. Also, I have to believe that eating healthy, meaning eggs, sardines, avocados, smoked salmon, organic peanut butter, broccoli, juice concoctions, and bananas contributes greatly to the body healing its self. So far it is working, but these days I am certainly being tested.

The last week has been crazy! I have been in the car quite a bit and it continues this week as well. Chicago to Oxford, Oxford to Pittsburgh, Chicago to Pittsburgh, and Pittsburgh to Oxford. The week has been very physically taxing from being in the car for so long but there was an emotional toll, although one with a very happy ending, as well from helping out in a small way getting a beautiful rescue dog to her forever home. I just wanted to get to Maryland and paddle but things don't always go as planned so adjustments need to be made.

Then when I got to Maryland and put some maintenance in on my DEAN 12-6 I found it had taken on quite a bit of water at some point in its history. I started draining it Saturday morning and on Sunday night water was still dripping out of a ding in the nose, although at a much slower pace. AND it is damn cold in Oxford. This wet and windy cold is much more off putting than the cold in Chicago. This has meant no paddling for this cold-weather wuss. More adjustments, meaning more walks and time at the gym. Fortunately, 55 and sunny appears to be only a few days away and maybe my board will be drained of all water by then...

The point is I am adjusting, remaining consistent to the lifestyle I am trying to promote by still getting my body moving when I can and as it allows and eating healthy meals when I am exhausted and only want pizza. The back is a bit sensitive to the long car rides but that just means it needs a bit of spoiling and not with over-the-counter pills but maybe some heating pad action, a nice stretchy walk, some exercises using very light weights, cold showers, omega-3s in sardines, and a nice hefty glass of red wine at night to help with circulation. I like helping out with the circulation!

I think I am getting my point across but still, please excuse any discombobulation in this post. I hadn't posted in almost a week so I wanted to maintain a sense of consistency with my blogging to coincide with a consistency in the improvement of my overall well being. Anybody who knows me well knows I can lose stride with the greatest of ease...that ain't happening yet. Plus, I have to get ready to jump in the car and drive to the Pittsburgh airport. At least I have a good 7+ hours of traveling to plan my nice light workout for tomorrow. Trying times lay ahead but maintaining what I have started to will help me through the crazy patch so I can come out on the other end with a paddle in hand and a healthy body to put into motion!

Don't let life get you down; keep at it. (And eat some sardines instead of popping a Motrin!)


No comments:

Post a Comment