Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Eve, so just a few words

Last Sunday I listened to a wonderful sermon delivered by Rev. Charles Stanley out of the First Baptist Church in Atlanta, Georgia. I usually try to use words in more of a tongue-in-cheek style but it is Christmas so allow me a few sentences of a more serious matter - the true meaning of Christmas in the life of a Christian.

Christianity gets so much negative press thanks to actions of narrow-minded fools who think their interpretation of the Bible is the way it should be. I was taught growing up that belief in God is not determined by the denomination of the church down the street. It is a willful act that comes about when the soul reaches out for something one feels is missing in their lives. It happened to me when I was young and I am glad for it every day, well, most days. Some days I completely lose focus on the direction I should be headed and veer off into places where I just create more obstacles that keep me from reaching my full potential. But that's okay, at least I'm not smoking crack or cheating people out of their mortgages when I stumble. I usually tip back a few too many Budweisers and cuss.

Everyone stumbles. It is nobody's right to judge me or anybody else when stumbles happen. I sin, you sin, we all sin. The beauty of Christianity is the unconditional love of God that allows us to be forgiven. We are to love all of humanity in the same way God loves us. That is the number one rule the Bible teaches. If we are to love one another unconditionally then why is there so much hate in the world? The true meaning of Christianity rarely gets any press. What would such a positive message do for the world? Promoting "love thy neighbor as thyself" might create less news. That would be network nightmare in today's society. Imagine an evening broadcast full of heartwarming stories about people doing good things for strangers all over the world. We are lucky if we even hear one. Instead we hear about Jerry Falwell and his horrible comments on why 9/11 happened or Pat Robertson getting more headlines for condemning an SNL skit. It's not our right to condemn anyone for anything; rather, it's our duty to try and promote peace and love toward one another. It's difficult, but it's better than hatred, envy, intolerance, and other ill feelings that keep people from getting along with one another.

Then there are all the religious groups that hold their support ransom during the political season. Listening to the news is so frustrating because again, most of the time these zealots do more harm for Christianity than good. Very few public figures of faith touch on the love the Bible promotes and when they do the message often comes across as judgmental or condemning. That is not how it should be. Lessons should be delivered but the delivery is what makes the words count.

Last Sunday Dr. Stanley stated that the Creator of the world came into the world He created and that is why Christmas should be celebrated. I have never heard a more profound statement in any sermon I have ever listened to before. God sent his Son into the world in order to add humanity to the Holy Trinity. How can one preach about a subject like temptation if one has never been tempted? Bringing Jesus into the world was necessary to add validity to lessons available in the Bible.

The Trinity is often the area that loses people. Christianity is completely based on faith. Having faith is hard; maintaining faith can be downright difficult. I chose to do the best I can to hold onto my faith. Sometimes I am asked to answer some very difficult questions when matters of religion come up. I don't have all the answers. I can't even get a job with any ivy-league degree how am I going to answer all the questions people have concerning religious matters? There is no way I can and that is okay with me because I don't need to be able to answer those questions for myself. I wish I could, but I am not there yet. Sometimes the only answer I can give is: I don't know but I have faith that such is true. All I hope to do is try and be a good example of a Christian. A lot of times I am most definitely not, but that's okay. I do have my moments though.

Interpretation has been dividing humanity since the beginning of time. This is why political parties came about in the early days of America. Our Constitution split politicians when there were the strict constructionists versus the broad constructionists trying to interpret laws meant to govern the country. The same happens with the Bible. For way too many years I used to quote the verse in Genesis that states that the Lord has given "all things, even the green herbs" right before I would light up. Maybe a bit of broad constructionism there but it worked for me, until I went to jail. Oh if we could all reach that middle ground.

All I really want to say is Merry Christmas, even to you heathens that will burn in hell...I kid I kid. You heathens have a Merry Christmas too! Also, we should love one another, even the annoying people. I have work to do because it is football Saturday and it is truly difficult for me to love Bob Costas when he moves his lips.

Peace, you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment